Sunday 4 January 2015

ICANN verification

D'oh! 

I've just found out that as of the 1st January 2014 it has now become a mandatory requirement from the Internet Corporation for Assigned Name and Numbers (ICANN) that all ICANN accredited registrars verify the WHOIS contact information for all new domain registrations, domain transfers and registrant contact modifications.

Unfortunately, my domain provider has my current email details, but ICANN still holds my contact details when I first registered my domain over 10 years ago.

It is clearly a gotchya that people will hit from time to time, especially when we move around the internet so much:  Over time we change our mobile and ISP providers so much, that we forget sometimes that the old accounts are still needed.

I have old AOL, NTL and BT emails for example that I haven't used in a long time.  Naturally I tend to use my domain email now for everything,  but when that stops working (like on this occasion) I need to dig out old emails that don't exist any more!

A lesson learned - keep all contact information on ALL sites current.

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/contact-verification-2013-05-03-en

No comments:

Post a Comment