Friday 28 January 2011

Rethink - heart or mind.

One of the final documents the bank asked me to complete was the deed of consent, which, although just a legal document from the bank defining who actually owned the property has, by definition, the right to kick any other person staying in the house (who's over the age of 18 and not on the mortgage) should the mortgage not be paid.

Basically meaning Gina didn't have any legal rights to her home.

A rethink on the mortgage was in order.

After a brief conversation we agreed that we need to get back to our original plan of both our names be put onto the mortgage, so that she, like me, had rights and ownership of our new home.

It does complicate who actually owns what, and any solicitor in the land would scream at me to "protect my interests", but being a new family unit, I can't let Gina think I don't trust her or our commitment to each other.

To her this whole episode of ownership is tantamount to a prenup, and hates the whole concept. I'm personally in two minds about the whole thing. I need to protect my interests, but in the same breath protect my relationship and demonstrate trust.

There's no easy answer to this - be cold and financially secure, or demonstrate a trust in our relationship and risk everything for love.

Only time will tell, but on this occasion we'll put the house in joint names and make a will to bolster the agreement with the security that should one of us die, the other has a home.

Love it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment